Print ready version
Labuan Financial Services Authority (“Labuan FSA”) re-issued the Guidelines on establishment of Marketing Office in Kuala Lumpur and Iskandar Malaysia which came into effect on 5 March 2014 (the “Guidelines”). The Guidelines supersedes the earlier guidelines for Establishment of Marketing Office in Kuala Lumpur and Johor Bahru issued on 14 November 2003 by the Labuan FSA.
All Labuan companies must submit the application for establishment of Marketing Office to the Labuan Financial Services Authority (“Labuan FSA”) through a Labuan IBFC registered trust company.
Kensington Trust Labuan Limited (“KTLL”) is a licensed trust company in Labuan and may assist you with this application.
- Limited to facilitate meetings with clients and establish contacts with potential clients of the Labuan company.
- No maintenance of books and records (including trading activities) shall be done through, from or in the Marketing Office
- All Labuan companies including those licensed under the laws relating to financial services in Labuan IBFC.
- Labuan companies that have an existing Kuala Lumpur Marketing Office may apply to establish another Marketing Office in Iskandar Malaysia.
- All Labuan companies with the exception of insurance brokers and captives must maintain a Management Office in Labuan
- Location and Address
- The Marketing Office must have an address
- The Marketing Office must be segregated and independent from office of other entity/company and has its own phone line, fax machine and computer terminal separate from other entity/company.
- The premise of the Marketing Office should strictly be used for the purposes specified under item A above and not for personal use or accommodation.
The number of staff in each of the Marketing Office should not exceed four (4)
- Name and Signboard
The name of the Labuan company must be easily legible in romanised characters, printed on a signboard affixed at the entrance of the Marketing Office. The signboard must contain the following information:-
- Company’s name and Incorporation / registration number
- License number, if applicable
The Labuan company must also comply with requirements of the relevant local authorities with regard to the signboard and Marketing Office, wherever applicable.
The annual fee imposed on each Marketing Office is payable when the application is approved by Labuan FSA and remains valid until 31 December of the year of approval. Subsequent annual fee is payable to Labuan FSA on or before 15 January of each calendar year:
|Once-Off Processing Fee||
|Annual Fee||RM7,500/- for each Marketing Office|
Minimum information to be contained in the Application:
- Business plan that illustrates the activities to be performed at the Marketing Office, including 3 years financial projection (statement of comprehensive income and statement of financial position) of the Marketing office.
- Organisational Chart of the Marketing Office
Labuan FSA may request other information for the purpose of processing the application. The Labuan FSA reserves the right to revoke the approval due to non-compliance with Labuan FSA’s and other regulatory requirements.
The information in this document is not advice of any kind but general information only and should not be relied on as legal advice. Kensington Trust Group recommends seeking professional advice on legal or tax issues affecting you before relying on it. While Kensington Trust Group tries to ensure that the content of this document is accurate, adequate or complete, it does not represent or warrant, express or implied, its accuracy, correctness, completeness or use of any of the information. Kensington Trust Group does not assume legal liability for any loss suffered as a result of or in relation to the use of this document. To the extent permitted by law, Kensington Trust Group excludes any liability for negligence, for any loss, including indirect or consequential damages arising from or in relation to the use of this document.